Every year, we ask some incredible humans to be the judges for our Design-A-Sock Contest. This year, we wanted to work with people who we felt aligned with the contest’s theme of Unity. A Sock It to Me employee mentioned New Avenues for Youth, and as soon as we looked them up, we knew they were the ones.
New Avenues for Youth is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the prevention and intervention of youth homelessness. Their mission? To work in partnership with the community to prevent youth homelessness and provide young people experiencing or at risk of homelessness with the resources and skills needed to lead healthy, productive lives. Through educational services, job training, supportive housing, providing meals, and the other incredible services they provide, New Avenues for Youth continues to give back to the community every single day. Find a comprehensive list of their services here! Want to get involved? Find out how here!
A panel of New Avenues staff and some of the youths they support will be helping us narrow down your DASC entries to the top 30. In preparation for their judging, we asked them questions about unity – find their answers here:
1. What does Unity mean to you personally?
- Having a safe place, solidarity
- Reunion with family
- Forming bonds & questions
2. How do you look for unity in everyday life? How do you try to connect with others?
- Spending time with peers, keeping others safe
- Asking others questions & relating to them/their stories
3. What’s your favorite thing about New Avenues for Youth?
- Friends here
- Community & Staff/activities
- “How are you” questions
- LGBTQ solidarity
- Support/active listening
- Connections & empathy from understanding peers
- Supportive place
4. Most meaningful story of connection with someone?
- Every day with staff at Robinswood
- Talking with Youth Advocates about feelings
- Youth Advocates making them laugh
Public voting begins on Wednesday, October 7th, so be prepared to vote for your favorites at contest.sockittome.com!